You are here

Work Permit

General Guidelines

Students between the ages of 14-17 must have a work permit before they may begin employment in the state of Maryland and employers are required, by law, to keep a copy of the work permit on file for any employee aged 14-17.  Students under the age of 14 are not permitted to work.  The BMHS Counseling Center can process work permits for the state of Maryland.

We are unable to process work permits for the District of Columbia or Virginia.  Students who plan to work in the District should visit and search for "work permit" on their home page.  The work permit link includes a printable work permit application for the District of Columbia.  Students should complete the application and take it, along with his/her birth certificate, social security card and a letter on letterhead from the employer stating his/her intent to employ the student, to any District of Columbia public high school.  If the child is under the age of 16, she should also have a letter of permission from a parent or guardian.  If a student plans to work in Virginia she can pick up a work permit from any public school in Virginia.

How to Obtain Your Maryland Work Permit

  1. Download and print a copy of the Work Permit Application.
  2. Fill out the information on the top portion of the form.
  3. Have your work supervisor fill out the employer section of the form.
  4. Ensure that your work supervisor has signed the form.
  5. Have your parent or guardian sign and date the form.
  6. Add your signature and the date on the appropriate line.
  7. Go to and follow the directions to complete the on-line work permit application.  Print a copy of the receipt.  (Please note that the website address on the DLLR form is incorrect.  Use the link provided here to access the correct website).
  8. Bring the receipt, along with the original signed form, to either Mrs. Mendiola or Mrs. Vinci in the BMHS Counseling Center.  They will review the forms, validate the information online, and print the official work permit.
  9. Take a copy of the validated work permit to your employer. 

If you are unable to access the internet you may pick up a copy of the work permit form in the BMHS Counseling Center.  During summer hours please call 301-735-8401, Ext. 147 or 141, to ensure we will be available to assist you.