You are here
Service Hour Requirements
Service Hour Requirements for the 2013-2014 School Year
(starting June 7, 2013)
"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. If you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners in order to receive back the same amount. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High"
Basic Requirements for the Holy Cross Service Program:
- Service work must be for a non-profit organization, not for an individual.
- Students must work directly with people in their assigned focus area.
- Help given to one's family, friends, school, church, or club is not considered a part of the Holy Cross Service Program.
Service Steps to fulfill this mission:
- Find a site/organization on the Pre-Approved Service Site List for your grade level.
- Contact the site/organization in advance to determine if this would be a good fit for you. Most sites do not encourage volunteers to show up unannounced. If you wish to volunteer with an organization that is not on this list, you MUST receive approval before beginning your service. (see next section for details)
- Complete Sections #1 and #2 of the Christian Service Contract before volunteering.
- On date of service, work hard at the service site.
- Site Supervisor completes Section #3 of the Chrstian Service Contract. Please note that if you are careless or lazy in the performance of your assigned duties the supervisor has the right to refuse to validate your contract.
- Complete the brief description in Section #4.
- Submit completed Contract to Campus Ministry within 2 months of the earliest date of service listed on the contract. All summer contracts must be submitted by October 1st.
- Once you submit the online form, you should receive an email reply within 48 hours from Mrs. Herndon, the Service Coordinator, telling you whether the site is acceptable for your focus group or not.
- If the site or the work you’ll be doing is not acceptable, you may complete the hours, but the hours will not be credited towards your grade level requirement.
20 hour requirement, reduced to 15 if 8 hours are submitted by January 13, 2014
Focus: hours must involve interaction/direct service to children
Examples: tutoring programs, women & children's shelters, summer programs serving disadvantaged youth. See 9 - Focus on Children
Deadline for completion of hours: March 24, 2014 (Christian Service Contract)
Reflection Due: by April 24/25, 2014 in Theology class (Freshman Reflection Rubric)
25 hour requirement, reduced to 20 if 10 are submitted by January 13, 2014
Focus: hours must involve interaction/direct service to the elderly or physically/intellectually disabled
Examples: nursing homes, soup kitchens that have an elderly population, senior programs at churches, special olympics. See 10 - Focus on the Elderly or Physically/Intellectually Disabled
Deadline for completion of hours: by March 31, 2014 (Christian Service Contract)
Reflection Due: by April 24/25, 2014 in Theology class (Sophomore Reflection Rubric)
30 hour requirement, reduced to 25 if 13 are submitted by January 13, 2014
Focus: hours must involve interaction/direct service to the economic poor. This also reflects the service trips offered and thus those hours will count towards this requirement.
Deadline for completion of hours: by April 7, 2014 (Christian Service Contract)
Reflection Due: by April 24/25, 2014 in Theology class (Junior Reflection Rubric)
Senior Service Project (continue the work already begun on the Senior Service Project)
Due: Project completed and presented no later than October 15, 2013 (Summer) OR February 3, 2014 (Fall). Failure to complete and present by this date will result in an automatic default to Option 2. The Project, presentation and reflection will count as a 4th quarter grade in your religion class. No extensions will be given.
35 hour requirement, reduced to 30 if 15 are submitted by January 13, 2014
Focus: hours must involve service focused on the 7 Themes of Catholic Social Teaching
Life & Dignity of the Human Person / Call to Family, Community, and Participation / Rights & Responsibilities / Option for the Poor & Vulnerable / Solidarity / Care for Creation / The Dignity of Work & the Rights of Workers
Examples: most service sites will meet these themes, the students must demonstrate through their service reflection which of the themes they were focusing on with each set of hours. See 12 - Focus on Catholic Social Teaching
Deadline for completion of hours: by April 22, 2014 (Christian Service Contract)
Reflection Due: by April 24/25, 2014 in Theology class--reflecting not only on senior year but the overall experience of service at BMHS (Senior Reflection Rubric)